Saturday, November 26, 2005

Not the Only One

As many of you know, I'm Jewish. And I'm tattooed. Those two don't often mesh well in people's minds. Well, ok, I'm not exactly a religous Jew, but I'm a Jew nonetheless. Today Rob and I stopped by Spiral Tattoo to show Diane, Bev, and Leo our healed tats, but also to get my tongue pierced (yes, I've done that too. That's another post, though; this one is about tattoos). Rob and I were talking with Bev and Diane (both very cool ladies), and they mentioned that they saw an article in Skin and Ink about Jews with Tattoos. They found the article for us, and I flipped through it. I was hoping to find it online. Well, I found better: Tattoo Jew. There's even a group online at tribe.net.

For more information on tattoos and the Jews and even why it's "forbidden":

Tattoo Jews

Tattooing in Jewish Law

Post Edit: Piercings are accepted under Jewish law, as is plastic surgery.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I guess my question would be, is it all based on the one line in Lev.? I know there are several laws that are followed in religion based on one line only. I know many people in the south base their prejudice on ONE line in the bible and a weird translation at that.
So, if it is one line - could someone have written it down wrong...?

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Naarah said...

“You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord.”

Still, I find it ironic that we have chosen this to mean tattoos and not piercings or plastic surgery.

Mis-translation is a possibility. There aren't an original hebrew texts left. We're besing our translation on translations from Greek text that were translated from the original Hebrew.

Don't even get me started on the bible-thumpers. They pick and choose what they want out of Leviticus (ie, homosexuality: bad; pork: good).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home