Saturday, December 10, 2005

Hooray for days off!!

I had a day off today. And it's not any ordinary day off! It's a Saturday!!!! And it was wonderful! I got to sleep in. We had no specific plans for the day. No time frame. No where to rush to. No particular place to be at any particular time. Absolutely wonderful.

After sleeping in, Rob and I took Token and Pixel (as you may recall, our "baby" ferrets, now six months old and mammoth in size!) outside for a romp in the snow. Putting them into harnesses was loads of fun (insert sarcasm). We thought Pixel "the bear" would enjoy the snow the most, but it was Token who took to tunneling through and romping and dancing to his delight. Pixel got cold and tired and quickly and came over to Rob and started to try to climb up him. Rob put him in his coat to keep him warm. In the meantime, Token was busy making snow tunnels. (See photos below).

After our adventure with snow ferrets, we headed over to Arborland to go to the bank and get goodies to send off to the shelter ferrets we're Secret Santas to. Arborland was of course busy and the Ann Arborites were showing their usual lack of parking and driving skills. Then we were off to the mall in search of a late lunch and new (smaller) jewelry for Rob's tongue. (What? I didn't mention? Yup, Rob's as crazy (and cool!) as me. He's got a hole in his tongue too). We had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. I had a wonderful salad (and brought half of it home. You go a week living off of slim fast and jell-o and you just can't fit as much into your stomach as you could before. This, however, is a good thing.) I also had a dreamy liqueur coffee drink: it's their "Winter Wonderland." I recommend it. Go have one. It's great. After lunch, we meandered the mall. We dawdled in Marshall Fields (we looked for the Frango cherry chocolates Matt mentions in his blog, but we couldn't find them. They had every other flavor, though.) We bought flannel sheets that were on sale (Whoever says newlyweds need satin sheets do not live in Michigan in the winter!) We then headed over and bought some truffles at Godiva (another recommendation of Matt's, and a personal favorite of mine. Though I'm disappointed, their Cranberry truffle was a limited fall flavor. It's really good, and if they have it next fall, I highly recommend it!) We of course got Rob his new tongue jewelry. And a smoothie. That was about it for the mall. Then we actually headed back to Arborland to go to Hillers and get a few groceries. While there, we stopped in Old Navy and did way too much damage. Then off to Borders to browse. And finally to Hillers for the groceries and then home. Yay home.

Yes, it was a long day. But it was a good day. I went to the Mall on a Saturday before Christmas and I wasn't a grouchy grinch girl. I'm actually feeling a little festive this holiday season. *gasp* For those of you who don't know, I used to *HATE* the holidays. Despise them. I hated the absurdity of being generous and giving only at this time of year. People are hungry in July too!! I hate hearing Christmas music for three months -- ok, still not so crazy about this one. I hate the shopping frenzies, the rude customers, the rush and hustle of it all. My hate isn't because I'm Jewish, either. My mother converted, her family is Catholic and as a child I used to celebrate Christmas with her family, in particular my grandmother. And I loved Christmas. I loved the trees, and the lights, and food, and the family. When she died, I lost all of that. Deep down, that's what I hate. But now, for whatever reason, I feel good. I feel festive. Maybe it's because I've grown up a little. Maybe it's because I realize that even if people aren't generous all year round (and I'm not completely letting them off the hook here), that I should be glad that at this time of year, generosity does flow forth, and that maybe it will catch on for the rest of the year. Maybe it's because some of those holiday songs are kindof catchy..... nah! Maybe it's because I have someone to share it with that I deeply love. Whatever the reasons, this year, this holiday season, I'm a happier person. With that being said, while I'm still feeling the joy, here's to wishing everyone a holiday and new year filled with happiness, love, family, and friends! And ferrets. Can't forget the ferrets. :-)


Pixel in the snow


Token tunneling around


Token peeking up from a tunneling excursion


and then back to tunneling

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They are sooo very cute like that. Well, you can never figure out which one will like what till ya try.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Her Royal Highness, Queen of Drama said...

Actually, as one of the three friends who have know you the longest, I'd say sinvce ROb, you are a much happier person year round. Which is a good thing. Yeah Rob.

Oh, and flannel sheets and chocolate. It was probably a spiffy Saturday evening ,)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home