Monday, January 30, 2006

It's done

So, today I went in to Rottermond Jewelers and handed in my keys and quit. If only it were that easy. Fred, the manager didn't understand. He thought everything was going well: during the sale Saturday I was interacting with customers, selling lots, doing well. So, we talked and I told him that I felt uncomfortable and unwelcome and by who. Not to mention that I'm bothered by the fact that getting paid my commisions is based on whether or not I do 2 hours of community service a month.* Fred wanted me to give it another couple of weeks. I took today to think about it. And I did consider everything over again. Rob and I talked it over again. And we came to the same conclusion: it's not right for me. Fred even mentioned the GIA and getting trained with them. But I read the manual: that would mean me being committed to them for 2 years after I've graduated from the program. And to get your Graduate Gemologist in full, at home, can take a couple of years. So, I'd be looking at 4-5 years with them. The idea of that leaves my stomach in knots. I called Fred and let him know that my original decision stands. He was really nice and even offered to be a reference for me, especially if I look into another jewelry job. If Fred were ultimately running the show, it could be a job that I could handle, even like. But he's not. And I think I'd be really unhappy there in the long run.

I have about 20 hours at my old store this week, and a full week next week. Talked to Sandie and she's going to see who else may need help so I can keep full time hours** Teffera, manager of the Somerset store just had someone quit, so she called to see if I could help out. Yes, that's a haul, but if it's a full day there, I know I can make it up sales; Somerset is a busy store.

I'm going to finish my application for the U tonight and get that submitted asap.


* Again, not bothered by the fact that I'd have to do community service. I think doing community service is a an honorable thing to do. But when you're required to do it, it's no longer community service. Not to mention that their idea of community service (drumming up business at Chamber of Commerce meetings) differs vastly from the definition of community service (say volunteering at the Humane Society or at a soup kitchen). But that HALF my paycheck would be determined on whether or not I was able to do this "community service" is BS.

** I let her know that the jewelry job didn't work and that Mel is giving me hours, but that I'd like to get as close to 40/week as possible. I don't need full time status, per say, because I don't need the benefits. Just the hours.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, glad to see it didn't end on a bad note. Interesting to see that Sandi is being cool. And it's more fun not to be the manager... lol

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Her Royal Highness, Queen of Drama said...

Sorry the jewelry store job didn’t work out. Your “training sounds a lot like my ‘training’ at Comerica, were Judy, my “Mentor Manager” said to me on my first day of work, “I left teaching because I hate teaching people, just stand over there and watch, don’t ask questions, cause that pisses me off.”

Lovely woman huh?

And yeah, I agree with Jason, making you join the Chamber in order to get your commission seems illegal. That is, if your commissions are considered part of your overall compensation package. While the Chamber is ostensibly a “community service” organization, in reality, they are a right-wing political group. And everyone knows it. I imagine the Brighton/Milford Chamber would be extremely right wing…So no, I can not imagine you doing well in a company that forces you join an organization that gives millions of dollars to Republican candidates and right-wing causes.

You did right to leave, even if it means not being sponsored for your GIA certification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home