Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Musings

Tomorrow is my last day as a manager for Ritz Camera. It all feels so surreal. I've been with Ritz for about three and half years. The longest I've ever stayed at any job. Ok, so I appear fickle up until now, bouncing around from job to job, staying a year or so, and moving on. I just see it as trying to find my niche in the world.* Maybe this time I'll find my corner of the world. No other way to know than to try. Today I went to a training at my new place of employment, Rottermond Jewelers. The training went well. It was the usual selling schpiel, with a twist towards jewelry. Afterwards, I had drive back to Ritz to work** As we were nearing close, the store was quiet; no customers. The radio was off, the lab was shut down, Katie was reading a book; the only noise the whirring of machines shutting down. In the silence my mind wandered: how did they not see this coming? When I announced to my store that I was leaving, all of them were surprised. I just don't see how. I was miserable. I never showed up on time. Ok, maybe a couple times, but it was to give an aneurysm to whoever I opened with. I was perpetually crabby, except for when I was bitchy. Maybe they just think that I am just bitchy. *** Maybe I needed a t-shirt with big black lettering that said "I HATE MY JOB." After work as I'm driving down 23 to go home, Sheryl Crow croons to me that a "change will do you good." Somewhere across the radio waves everything is coming together. Yes, I'll be staying on with Ritz and working some Sundays. Even so, it all feels so final; that when I turn in my keys and drive away from 2775 Plymouth Road tomorrow, I will be entering a completely new phase in my life. And there's no turning back. And I'm OK with that.

*My mother just thinks I'm fickle. And tells me so. I 'm too nice to tell her that I think she's crazy.

**It was a really looooong day. Had to be in Milford at 8:30 am. Then went back to Ritz and had to close. Long, really long fucking day.

***No, really, I'm not just a Royal Bitch! I really am a nice person. Yes, I get bitchy. There's usually an underlying reason or person. I've calmed down and grown up a lot over the years. I'm a fairly well-adjusted person. Really.

3 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah the leaving of a big job. People could certainly call me fickle at the moment, but hey it's hard to find a teaching job to stay at.
Gratz and I hope today went well.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Matt_Sweet said...

I think that our generation is less likely to be with a single company for 10 years of more. The working world is just different than when our parents were starting their careers--once, you were rewarded when you showed loyalty and dedication. These days, you can work for a company for 30 years and find yourself laid off without any pension. It makes sense to remember that you're always working for yourself, regardless where your check comes from.

And congratulations and good luck!

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least if you're staying on PT at Ritz, you're staying at a FUN store. ;P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home